Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Magic Pickles & Sweet Fermented Pickle Relish

Magic Pickles & Sweet Fermented Pickle Relish: "



Every year I plant my garden anxious for my fruits and veggies. But each year I don't plant cucumbers because each year they come back anyway. In different places in my garden they will sprout. Always in a place where they can have lots of room. It just makes me laugh and delights me. It is what I call summer magic. This year I thought they wouldn't come. We had an exceptionally hard winter and I started to believe they weren't coming and I started to panic. No pickles, what is a fermenter fanatic to do. But come they did, in a spot they had never sprouted from before. Now in my own reality I like to believe that as I sleep, angels come at night and plant seeds,so they will grow and become cucumbers. Then I will ferment them and tell the world how to have make these life giving pickles. That this it is my destiny and higher calling. So if I find out that every-bodies cucumbers come back every year. I will be slightly disappointed maybe even crushed. So if you don't mind I prefer to stay in my own crazy reality watching with joy as my cucumbers come to me year after year, and coming up with new recipes to fulfill my greater destiny.



I think everyone should ferment and not can their vegetables. No big boiling pots of water heating up the kitchen. Just a little chopping and patience and you have one of my favorite foods fermented pickles!! Pickles that are loaded with vitamin c and good bacterias that can change the world that lives inside of you. So my first recipe this year with my cucumbers is: Sweet fermented relish. Man I just love pickles...







Sweet Fermented Pickle Relish


Makes 1 quart


You can also make these into bread and butter chip pickles. Just don't chop and dice but leave the cucumbers and onions in thin slices. These are really good on sandwiches.



3 cups chopped and diced cucumbers


1/2 cup chopped and diced sliced onions


1/4 cup whey or 1/2 tsp from Cultured Veggie pck


1/2 cup honey or maple syrup


1/2 red pepper chopped and diced


1 1/2 Tbsp celtic sea salt


1 Tbsp whole celery seeds


1 teaspoon turmeric


1/2 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds


In large bowl, mix cucumbers with onion and place in 1 quart-sized, wide-mouthed mason jars, pressing down lightly with a pounder or meat hammer. Combine remaining Ingredients and pour over cucumbers, adding more water if necessary to cover. Keep the top of the liquid 1 inch below the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to the refrigerator. These will last at least s year in your fridge.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment