Monday, November 22, 2010

Carrot Souffle with The Wicked Noodle

Carrot Souffle with The Wicked Noodle: "

Carrot SouffleKristy Bernardo is the funny, charming voice behind The Wicked Noodle, a blog devoted to documenting her quest to feed her family delicious food. Kristy only began to cook seven years ago when she quit her corporate job to stay at home with her first child. Ever since then she’s been teaching herself all sorts of great recipes and techniques and, lucky for us, shares them with her readers each week. Today Kristy is sharing her amazing recipe for Carrot Souffle with The Family Kitchen. It is a fabulous recipe that is completely kid-friendly and would be a hit at any Thanksgiving feast.


Kristy: Six years ago I hosted my very first holiday dinner. It was important to me to host that year – my husband and I had just built a new house and our first daughter would be four months old, and I was eager to test out my new cooking skills. I’d begun the process of teaching myself to cook just six months before and I wanted to see just how far I’d come.


I scoured every cooking magazine I could find looking for the perfect way to do everything, from cooking a moist, tender turkey down to an impressive dessert. And of course, I needed to find some amazing side dishes.


The dinner turned out better than I could have hoped. But to be honest, mostly what I remember from that first dinner is the one dish that not only outshined the rest, but it’s also the only dish that’s showed up our table every holiday dinner since.


This side dish has it all. It’s absolutely delicious with a silky texture and vibrant color. It appeals to everyone from grown-ups to the smallest children, plus it’s easy to make and holds well if the rest of your meal needs a bit more time. The best part? It’s actually good for you even though it’s practically a dessert!


The dish I’m talking about is a carrot soufflé. I’ve served this dish countless times and I’m always asked for the recipe. One of my neighbors now serves it at her table every holiday, and a friend of mine from the other side of the country just made it for his dinner party where “everyone raved”. I’m a personal chef now, and the first time I made this for my clients they deemed it one of their all time favorite dishes!


The Wicked Noodle’s Carrot Souffle


7 cups chopped carrots (about 2 pounds)


2/3 cup sugar


1/4 cup sour cream


3 tablespoons flour


2 tablespoons butter, melted


1 teaspoon baking powder


1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1/4 teaspoon salt


3 large eggs, lightly beaten


1 teaspoon powdered sugar


cooking spray


1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.


2. In a pot of boiling water cook the carrots until tender enough to be speared with a fork. Then place them in a food processor and pulse until completely smooth.


3. Add the sugar, sour cream, flour, butter, baking powder, vanilla extract, salt and eggs to the processor and pulse to combine.


4. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray and spoon in the mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until puffed and set in the center.


5. When the souffle has completely cooled sprinkle it with powdered sugar and serve immediately.


I hope you try this dish for your own holiday dinner this year. I guarantee it will become one of your favorites, too!

"

No comments:

Post a Comment