Monday, November 22, 2010

Potato loaf and fresh butter

Potato loaf and fresh butter: "

I made a potato bread today, using Dan Lepard's recipe from The Art of Handmade Bread (AKA The Handmade Loaf) as the basis and tweaking it a bit. If memory serves me right, I used:


300 grams water


200 grams mashed potatoes


500 grams bread flour


1 tablespoon sourdough starter (cold from the fridge)


1 tablespoon honey


2 teaspoon salt


1 teaspoon instant yeast


I gave it quite a while, 10 minutes or so, in the mixer, then let it rise slowly most of the day, folding it a couple of times when I noticed it cresting over the edge of the bowl.. I shaped it an hour or so before I wanted to bake it, then baked it with steam at 465 for 15 minutes then 400 or so for another 20 to 30 minutes.


Potato Bread


Potato Bread


It has a relatively tight crumb but is really nice and soft. I'm thinking I may make this as rolls for my Thanksgiving day feast this year.


My kids and I also made fresh butter in Mason jars as discussed here.


Bread and butter


The kids had a blast dancing around the living room shaking the jars (we put some music on) and the butter was truly delicious. It is well worth the effort!

"

No comments:

Post a Comment