Monday, November 22, 2010

Tuscan Sourdough Stuffing

Tuscan Sourdough Stuffing: "

My stuffing is a labor of love. I love making the sourdough bread mixed with Tuscan and sage seasonings. Then taking that bread and making it into stuffing. I feel as though I am walking in the footsteps of cooks from years gone by. I start a few days before Thanksgiving and make my delicious rosemary bread for the stuffing. Then I cut it in to cubes and let it sit out to dry and become crusty.

My mom use to mix up her stuffing the night before Thanksgiving and then bake it the next day. She would put it in this large glass bowl that was etched with gold. She would always leave a night light in the kitchen and I would always stop and stare at that bowl of cubed bread with seasonings and always grab a piece or two before sneaking off to bed. It is not a coincidence that the first thing I ever made as a little girl was a loaf of bread. I was young and had found a recipe for Sally Lunn bread and it fascinated me. I asked my mom if I could make it. With recipe in hand I set out to make my first and rather difficult recipe. To my mom's and my amazement the bread was a huge success. I still remember to this day taking it out of the oven and the joy I felt.

So as I celebrate my thankfulness this Thursday. I will have to include in my long list, the joy of cooking. It brings me and others such joy, and it is in so many ways my expression of love to my family and others. Put your love into your cooking you never knows who is watching. It might just be the pitter patter of children who will grow up to follow in your footsteps and prepare dishes filled with their love. Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours.


Tuscan Stuffing

  • 1 loaf of Tuscan Sourdough bread ( see below)
  • 1 stick sweet butter
  • 2 tbsp dried or fresh sage
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1 1/2 cups minced yellow onion
  • 1 cup minced celery or fennel
  • 1 cup minced carrot
  • Up to 3 cups chicken stock (or turkey if you have it)
  • 2 eggs, optional, use if you like a firmer stuffing


Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the sourdough into 3/4-inch squares and place in large bowl. Melt half the butter add sage.

Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sage butter over the bread and toss gently but swiftly. Spread out on 2 cooking sheets and place in the oven until light brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and place back into the bowl.

Meanwhile, place the dried fruit in a large bowl; add boiling water to cover and then set aside for at least 10 minutes. This will plump and soften the fruit for cooking. Drain fruit once plumped.

Raise the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

Melt the remaining butter and add onion, celery, and carrot. Saute on medium-low heat until soft. Add dried fruit and remaining sage. Toss into cooled croutons. Gently toss and add chicken broth to moisten; add more broth if you like a softer stuffing. Stir in beaten eggs now, if using. Adjust salt and pepper, to your liking. Turn out into an oven-proof casserole.

Bake uncovered until golden brown on top, about 40 minutes.


Tuscan Rosemary Bread

8 ounces sourdough starter

1 cup water

3-4 cups whole wheat flour

1 tbsp dried rosemary

1 tsp Celtic sea salt

1 tbsp basil olive oil or if not available regular olive oil

Add starter and water to bowl. Slowly add other ingredients and mix until dough no longer sticks to bowl or hand about for 8 minutes. Then transfer to a greased bowl and cover. Then let rise in a draft free place till double in size for about 4 to 5 hours. Turn out dough and knead a few times to deflate. Then form into loaf and place in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise for an hour or two or until puffy and close to desired size. Then slash top of loaf and place in a preheated oven at 400º for 20 minutes then turn down heat to 350º and bake 20 minutes more or until brown and firm.Thoroughly cool bread on a rack before slicing.



"

No comments:

Post a Comment