Saturday, November 20, 2010

the secret to a perfect frittata [5 ingredients]

the secret to a perfect frittata [5 ingredients]: "

w4 baked frittata with chickpeas & rosemary chickpea & rosemary baked frittata


So I have 2 secrets to share today.


First is that over the last few weeks I’ve become obsessed with baked frittatas. You see I’ve always been a big fan of eggs in all their forms, scrambled, boiled and especially poached. And as much as I adore frittatas, I used to cook them only very rarely.


I think this was because I always found them a little tricky. Sure they turned out OK most of the time. But I found the juggling act of trying to get the whole frittata cooked through without overbrowning, or even worse, sticking on the bottom of the pan a bit too stressful.


But a couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a revelation. I was after something quick and vegetarian for dinner. There were asparagus that needed eating up along with some wonderful eggs from my cousin’s farm. This produced a vision of a beautiful asparagus tart with the spears lined up over the top. There definitely wasn’t time for pastry, and then it hit me. Why not try a baked frittata?


So I cooked the asparagus under the grill (broiler) until they were just tender. Whisked together a couple of eggs, lined my smallest springform pan and baked it all for about 15 minutes. And the results were even better than I was hoping. Beautiful to behold, wonderfully delicious AND super simple. Win. Win. Win.


The second secret, which you’ve probably already guessed is that baking is the best and simplest way to get perfect frittatas every time. And believe me I’ve been testing the method out. In addition to my lovely asparagus, there has been a breakfast chorizo frittata, a fancy brunch of frittata with potato, sausage & truffle oil, a potato & bacon and this wonderful chickpea & rosemary number. So simple and so good.


Do you have a favourite frittata flavour combination? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.


w4 baked frittata with chickpeas & rosemary


[5 ingredients]

chickpea & rosemary baked frittata


serves 2


A frittata is just an Italian version of an omelette. Having a good frittata recipe in your repertoire is an incredibly useful idea. When you need a quick vegetarian protein hit, there are few things more satisfying.


I love this frittata with the fragrance of rosemary and the comfort of chickpeas. It’s all day dining really. Weekend breakfast or brunch? Just add hot buttered toast. Light lunch? Add a green salad. Simple supper? A generous glass of wine and you’re good to go.


4 eggs

large handful freshly grated parmesan cheese

1 can chickpeas (400g / 14oz), drained

2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked


1. Preheat oven to 200C (400F) and place a baking tray on the middle shelf.


2. Line a 20cm (8in) springform pan with baking paper & grease generously with olive oil.


3. Whisk together lightly eggs and parmsean. Season.


4. Place chickpeas in the prepared tin. Pour over the egg mixture & scatter over the rosemary. Season.


5. Place on the preheated tray and bake until golden and puffy and the centre feels firm and springy, about 15 minutes.


___________________________________________________________


This goes without saying, but the only way Stonesoup reaches more people is if you share it, Tweet it, Like it on Facebook, link to me from your blog, and email it to your friends. THANKYOU. I really appreciate your help spreading the word about 5 ingredients.




Share



"

No comments:

Post a Comment